Published on November 15th, 2012 | by admin0
Further 14 women make claims against Jimmy Savile’s former chauffeur
They claim they were subjected to a catalogue of crimes at the hands of Ray Teret including indecent assault and sexual abuse
Detectives probing alleged sex offences carried out by Jimmy Savile’s former driver were last night looking into 17 separate complaints from women.
Ray Teret, 71, was arrested at his home in Greater Manchester last week over the alleged rape of three children in the 1960s & 70s.
Since news of his arrest broke, cops at the Serious Sexual Offences Unit have been contacted by 14 more women who say they were subjected to a catalogue of crimes at the hands of Teret including indecent assault, the sexual abuse of children, indecent exposure and false imprisonment.
Police in Manchester have distanced their investigation into Teret from the nationwide inquiry into predatory paedophile Savile being conducted by officers at Met.
The original complaints against Teret, a former pirate DJ known as Savile’s sidekick throughout the sick star’s TV heyday, were made to the Met who passed them north when there was no suggestion the Jim’ll Fix It presenter was involved.
The woman came forward after news of Savile’s long-term abuse came to light.
They said Teret raped them while they were under 16 while he worked in Manchester.
Police said the new complaints against Teret date from 1962 to 1979 and allegations centred on the Sale and Altrincham areas.
The alleged victims are now set to give statements to specially trained officers and are being offered support.
Teret and his housemate, Alan Ledger, 61, were held at their home in Altrincham last Thursday.
Ledger is suspected of raping one of the girls with Teret.
The pair were questioned before being bailed pending further inquiries.
Detective Inspector Simon Davies, leading the investigation for Greater Manchester Police, said: “Police investigating allegations of historic sexual abuse in the Trafford area are now looking into 17 separate complaints.
“The arrests followed an investigation by the Serious Sexual Offences Unit into three separate allegations of historic sexual abuse which have been reported to Greater Manchester Police.
“Since the arrests, a further 14 potential victims of historic sexual abuse have been identified, making a total of 17, and these complaints are also now being investigated by the Serious Sexual Offences Unit.
“Officers are continuing to provide specialist support and welfare to all the victims.
“As we said at the outset of this investigation, our duty is to all those victims who have shown great courage to come forward and report they have been victims of historic sexual abuse.
“Because of the number of victims who have come forward since last week, our investigation is now both wide-ranging and complex and clearly we need to investigate every complaint thoroughly which will take time.
“The two men who were arrested have been released on bail while we carry out these inquiries.
“Again, I want to be absolutely clear that while the publicity surrounding the late Jimmy Savile and the investigation launched by the Metropolitan Police Service into his abuse was the genesis for this inquiry and victims coming forward, we are not investigating any complaints that Savile himself was either present or involved in any of the allegations.”
Police said anyone affected by the investigation into Savile or others can call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.